Log in or Register for enhanced features | Forgotten Password?
White Papers | Suppliers | Events | Report Store | Companies | Dining Club | Videos
Energy Management
Energy Storage
Return to: CTBR Home | Energy Management | Energy Storage

Enel and partners to build 22MW battery storage plant in Germany

CTBR Staff Writer Published 21 February 2018

Enel will build and manage a 22MW lithium-ion battery storage plant in Germany in partnership with Enertrag and Leclanché with an investment of €17m.

The battery storage plant, which will be built in Cremzow in the state of Brandenburg, will be owned by a special purpose vehicle (SPV). Enel’s renewables subsidiary Enel Green Power Germany (EGP Germany) will hold 90% stake in the SPV while German wind energy company Enertrag will hold the remaining 10%.

Leclanché will be the engineering, procurement and construction (EPC) contractor for the project. The Swiss energy storage solutions company will be responsible for integrating battery and power conversion systems and also for providing the energy management software.

Enel Global Renewable Energies head Antonio Cammisecra said: “The project in Cremzow is an important milestone for us because, after the success of similar projects in Italy and Chile, it will further demonstrate how beneficial storage is for energy systems, in particular when coupled with renewable.

“Storage is increasingly becoming a key tool in ensuring grid stability and is also a pathway towards the widespread adoption of renewables worldwide, facilitating their integration into power grids.”

According to Enel, the Cremzow storage plant will deliver frequency regulation services to the Primary Control Reserve (PCR) market to help in the rapid stabilization of the grid. Later on, the battery storage facility will be integrated with Enertrag wind farms.

Enertrag board head Joerg Mueller said: “The Cremzow project will play an essential role in safely phasing-out lignite in the state of Brandenburg.

“As a next step, the Cremzow battery will address the proof of black start capabilities of ENERTRAGs renewable regional power plant in the Uckermark area.”

The storage plant will be commissioned in two phases, with the first 2MW section likely to be commissioned in April while the full commissioning is planned to be done in the year end.